Sunday, April 11, 2010

Study Plan-Study Groups?strategy?

I actually started studying in June 2009 and had plans to test by DEc 2009.But i finally gave it in Apr2010!
First thing i did was to join a study group.
I wasted lot of time trying to find one that was suitable,effective and the one that actually worked.Sadly,none worked out.People had different goals and time tables-like finishing Musculoskeletal chapter in three days!
I had responsibilities and all i could find was two to three hours per day.I did try some groups.
Then i found myself just rushing thru' the topics only to meet the group's deadline and not understanding and not remembering anything.So i stopped bothering about being in groups.

I started my study again in 2010-no groups this time.Just me,my book and my schedule-very flexible but with at least 1 hour of study per day.

I reviewed PTRSG for a month. Attended the IER review course. then reviewed Blue Book and PTRSG for another month ,did practice tests,reviewed then took the test.


Now,even though Study Groups did not work for me,it may work for you-if you manage to find one that fits your bill!

What i strongly recommend is to review the PTRSG just by yourself-complete at least one review-know what is in and where things are.Then think about study group.


I am out lining what worked best for me.Pls modify the timetable based upon your specific needs.

First Review: (Books:PTRSG,Ref:Magee)

Musculo skeletal-2 weeks

cardio-3 days

Pulmo-3 days

neuro-3 days

teaching-2days

research-2days

modalities-3 days

ther.ex-3days

paediatrics,geriatrics-2days

integ-3 days

other systems-4 days

health care system-3-4 days

Functional aids-3days

Model exam-1 from PTRSG

Depending upon how much i remembered and how much time i could devote for studying,some chapters,i finished earlier and others i had to stretch the time limit a bit.Especially the first time.

Key here is to study all,understand all-not just read through or rush through.


Can you mug up and rely on your recent memory?-yes and no.You need to know the very basic values and info but that alone will not help you with 'thinking' type questions in NPTE. And NPTE is full of those Questions.


I strongly recommend taking the Exam at the end of first review.

That will help you to identify your strong and week areas and guide you towards how to study further.You will be familiar with the type of qs that will come in NPTE.

So during the next study session,while you are reviewing try to think of likely question for that two or three lines and an answer for that.Make questions and answers for the Paragraph or condition or the info that you are studying.

for the first two reviews DO NOT OMIT/SKIP even a SINGLE WORD.

Second Review:(same books)

Time allotted depends upon the first practice exam result.

I gave musculoskel 1week and others two days.

Practice exam 2

Third review:

Concentrated on the main chapters only.

Musculoskel-3-4days

Cardiopulmo-3days

neuro,peads-3 days

Research-1 day

integ-1 day

commonly used modalities or most often questioned ones-1 day

Third practice exam.

Attended the Therapyed aka IER (you can find the link in previous posts) review course.

now i had one more book to review.

Fourth review:

I did PTRSG(red book) and Blue book (the book got from IER review course) side by side.

Blubook has bit more info on Phrama,which was good.This review took me approx10 days.

Blue book practice exam.


I had more or less three weeks to go for the exam.

Final attack:

I did Red Tables(items with in boxes in PTRSG).-1 week

PEAT exam 1(you can purchase Peat from FSBPT. http://www.fsbpt.org/ click on 'candidates and services'; on the left hand side of the page and select 'PEAT' from the drop down menu.


Review of red tables,with imp topics or things that i wanted to review(follow your guts aka instincts),Research (4 days)

Peat exam-2


Review Pharma,myotomes,dermatomes,closed pack,open pack,capsular patterns,SCI level-functional capabilities,Research,quick peak on other systems. (4 days)

I read the rationale for ans in PEAT.

Two days before exam-i collected all necessary documents and stuff needed to test and of course reviewed.

the day before exam i just randomly opened the book and went thru' what ever caught my attention-just what my gut told me to do + i brushed through Research.Then tucked away the books.

Took a good 10 hours nap.(try warm shower to relax).


Make sure you read rationale for all questions-not just the incorrect ones.

by doing this, you are not only improving retention but also learning new additional info given in rationales.

Do not by heart/mug up/memorize the rationale.Try to understand.So that if and when a similar question comes in exam, you can approach it confidently.

Also,for non English speakers,some times it it difficult to understand the question because of the language.I had some difficulty in comprehending some( my TOEFL score is 118),despite having sound basics.The practice exams familiarize you with such complexities.


Buy PEAT.It is the actual look and feel of the exam.try to do at least two exams (one PEAT and one any other practice exam) in the same way as you would in real exam( just taking scheduled break and finish exam in one go).

I invested at least three quality hours per day and took compulsory break of 1 day every week.

I did not join any study group.I avoided reading all those sad posts in all the forums as i wanted to maintain my positive attitude and prayed-Asked HIM to grant me whatever is best for me.

So how did i do exam?








5 comments:

  1. nice review plan,group study does not work for me too..hopefully i can use ur study plan as guide..thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep..gud plan..organized well...excuted very well...all is well...I feel one should have one's own plan & do discussion with group to retain all imp.points & clarify the doubts...moreover...do ur best ...rest..will sure be success..more we work more luckier we are..aren't we??...cool..we can do it...Thanks wan...U r rocking!! a hero 4 us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Folks.I had to work with what i got(time,resources).May be this study plan will serve as a starting point for people to tailor make their own.All the Best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi..Wan..good day!
    r u frm India? which state r u working now? My best wishes & warm regards 4 all ur endeavours..have GREAT professional & personal life in USA!! God bless U!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Great Job.

    Just wanted to know which is the book PTRSG?

    Kindly let me know on sakinasony22@gmail.com

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete